The More Things Change...
My father loves skiing and he got me started skiing when I was a kid. I had heard a few stories from my father about skiing 'back in the day' but he didn't have photos. I found this great archive of ski photos from the 1970's DOCUMERICA project. The skis and bindings have changed a lot in 35+ years, but the fashion seems to be making a comeback. Hopefully, my kids will look back at images of skiing from today, have a laugh and then go skiing with me.
For the Documerica Project (1971-1977), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) hired freelance photographers to capture images relating to environmental problems, EPA activities, and everyday life in the 1970s. Photographer Ron Hoffman captured images of skiing and other recreational activity in Aspen and Vail, Colorado in January and February of 1974.
- The Climate Issue: Why the Menace of Mosquitoes Will Only Get Worse
- Asteroid Misses Earth Narrowly, by Cosmic Standards
- Trillions of Plastic Bits, Swept Up by Current, Are Littering Arctic Waters
- Climate Change Reroutes a Yukon River in a Geological Instant
- It’s Like It Never Left: Another El Niño May Be on the Way