Mountain History on Wheels
We are well into the heat of summer in the Northern Hemisphere (I hope the skiing is great South of the Equator!) and warm weather mountain sports are in season. Heading to the mountains is a great way to escape the heat and find other ways of earning your turns. One of my favorites is Mountain Biking, just a whippersnapper compared to skiing, but it has been around since the early 1970's.
If you happen to be passing through the San Francisco airport (SFO) between July 2012 and February 2013, check out the From Repack to Rwanda: The Origins, Evolution, and Global Reach of the Mountain Bike exhibit in the International Terminal Main Hall.
Whether mountain biking was born in Marin, CA or Crested Butte, CO (depending on who tells the story) it has grown into a world-wide sport / obsession / way of life. Many of the originators of mountain biking like Joe Breeze, Otis Guy and Gary Fisher are still very active in the world of bicycling (see below). It shows how mountain biking, like other mountain sports, can keep you healthy and youthful regardless of age.
Breezer Bikes (Joe Breeze)
Fisher Bikes (Gary Fisher)
Ritchey Bicycle Components (Tom Ritchey)
- Trump Signs Executive Order Unwinding Obama Climate Policies
- News Analysis: Planned Rollback of Climate Rules Unlikely to Achieve All Trump’s Goals
- Trilobites: They Mixed Science, Art and Costume Parties to Reveal Mysteries of the Sea
- A Dream of Clean Energy at a Very High Price
- Essay: Hope Springs Early, but Not Eternal, for the Deadnettle — or for Us