Back in My Day...
...We had to walk uphill, through the snow, both ways to get to school. While I usually laugh at talk like that apparently, You Kids actually don't know what it used to be like. And us older folks are forgetting how cold winter used to be. Despite the recent national cold snap due to a Polar Vortex, winters are becoming warmer and many people don't remember how cold it once was. The last time there was a nationwide cold snap below 18°F was January 13, 1997, 17 years ago.
So, give your elders a break when they start rambling on about how cold it was "back in their day." Unfortunately, it really was colder back then.
I found that someone else (XKCD) said the same thing, only funnier...
- News Analysis: Planned Rollback of Climate Rules Unlikely to Achieve All Trump’s Goals
- Trilobites: They Mixed Science, Art and Costume Parties to Reveal Mysteries of the Sea
- A Dream of Clean Energy at a Very High Price
- Essay: Hope Springs Early, but Not Eternal, for the Deadnettle — or for Us
- Trilobites: Headed North, Sandhill Cranes Squeeze In Where They Can